Wednesday 13 December 2017

Learning to Code - it's a mindset

Coding is very different from learning a language. It involves way more problem-solving. I have needed to re-learn how I learn. From the start, learning to code is a long-term goal, but I chip away at it every day except the weekends (for now.)

I've been really stuck for the last two weeks, unable to figure out how to fix my bug. I'm working with HTML, CSS, and PHP through a bootstrapped theme. The code is working fine, but the form isn't coming through to my e-mail. Something I cannot see is wrong. Going about trying to fix this problem has proven difficult. I am a beginner, and I'm humble. I'm used to being able to do things easily, though, and so my grit mentality isn't quite developed YET. It's late in the game, but I'm getting there.

Learning to code, when not on a job, can't be done in a vacuum. There are a lot of programs out there, like the Flatiron school's free online boot camp, which has you reading the material and attempting code in an online text-editor and console. This approach is really removed. Although it matters what you do (and that you do and learn something), it matters more why you do it. Applying knowledge, getting functional websites up and running, that should be the focus here so that we can move forward in our individually created purpose... I will not maintain joy and spark if I don't keep applying these learned skills to something. In fact, I should have my SOMETHING guide what skills I want to learn.

That's how I'll stay motivated. Now it makes me want to get back to that work!